New Medicare Cards to Debut in 2018
In April, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) will remove Social Security Numbers from Medicare cards to help protect against fraud and identity theft. Beneficiaries with the traditional “red, white and blue” Medicare cards will begin receiving their new cards from CMS in the Spring of 2018. CMS expects to have all Medicare cards replaced by Spring 2019.
According to AARP:
- New Medicare cards will automatically be mailed to all 58 million current beneficiaries.
- You don’t need to do anything special to receive one.
- The new cards will feature a randomly assigned Medicare Beneficiary Identifier (MBI) made up of 11 letters and numbers.
- Your benefits won’t change.
- Please note: scams relating to the new card are already surfacing. Some Medicare recipients report getting calls from scamsters who tell them that they must pay for the new card, and then ask them for their checking account and Medicare card numbers. Don’t ever give out either number.