After Your Outpatient Procedure
After your surgery, you will be taken to the recovery area or PACU (post anesthesia recovery unit).
You will remain in the PACU until you are well enough to go home.
When you are ready to leave the hospital, your nurse will review with you, and the responsible adult accompanying you, instructions for medications, diet, surgical dressings and follow-up appointments. All instructions will be provided in writing along with contact phone numbers should you have questions after discharge.
In many cases, depending on your procedure, you will be ready to leave Ohio Valley Surgical Hospital one to two hours following the completion of your surgery. If you are having local anesthesia, you may be able to leave immediately afterwards.
If you will be having an endoscopy or cataract procedure, or a pain management treatment, you may be able to leave 30 to 60 minutes after your procedure. Prior to your discharge, you will be given specific instructions from your physician regarding your care at home.
Important Things to Remember After Your Outpatient Procedure:
- You must have someone drive you home after your procedure. It is important to have someone stay with you for the first 24 hours after your procedure.
- Take it easy until your physician says you can return to your normal routine.
- It is natural to experience some discomfort after any operation. You may also experience some drowsiness or dizziness. Follow your physician’s instructions regarding diet, rest and medication.
- Your physician will tell you when you can resume driving, and not until you no longer require narcotic pain medicine.
- Do not operate heavy machinery or power tools, cook, drink alcoholic beverages, make legal decisions or take any medications not prescribed or approved by your physician for at least 24 hours after your procedure.
- Contact your physician if you feel you are having problems after surgery. If you cannot contact your doctor, and feel your concerns warrant immediate attention, call or go to the emergency room closest to you.
Download our Ohio Valley Outpatient Surgery Information Brochure